Thursday 31 March 2016

typesetting fun

Today we put into practice the weeks of Indesign knowledge we've accumulated over the course. We were set a task to typeset Jane Eyre. 

I used paragraph styles for the chapter headings, main body, first paragraph and for the poem at the end. I adopted a custom baseline grid, adapted the margins, found out how to use drop caps, mastered master pages (finally!) edited images in the file, and I added an extra fancy detail on the bottom of the master page to reflect the Victorian-era text. 

I edited the text quite extensively to exclude double spaces, incorrectly used dashes, double lines, unnecessary capital letters, orphans, widows and quotation marks. 

I think the effect works very well. I set the leading at a very specific 18 pixels, which creates a nice space between the lines to adds readability. I will use all of these techniques in my final typesetting assignments.




No comments:

Post a Comment