Thursday 3 March 2016

designing a cover

 
I designed a cover in today's session, from this original image:
 

I added a black back cover from the cover grids set up in week 3, and I used Photoshop to clone stamp some of the starry imagery around where I thought the blurb should be. I tried to turn the different images on angles so it wouldn't be as obvious what I had done, and I think this has been successful.
 
I used the font that I found in the last exercise, and I think that works in practice. I also think the spacing of the author, title and quote works visually.
 
The colouration is particularly effective on this cover, as all of the colours used are picked with a dropper from the original image. I feel that this adds some sense of continuity across the cover.

If I were to change the cover, I would manipulate the title so that it was more inventive. I would possibly experiment with a pink or teal drop shadow, or change the leading. This would make the title stand out more, and also open up opportunities to add different finishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment