Thursday 3 March 2016

cover design and font choice

Today I'm looking different cover genres and searching for an appropriate font to match.


1. 'A View of the Cascade'


From a distance, this cover looks like it could be from a fantasy novel (to me, anyway). I think it's because of the muted, pink and green colour palette that somehow reminded me of the pretty glowy elves from Lord of the Rings. Anyhoo, on closer inspection it appears that the illustration is actually a really beautiful and traditional nature painting, with a few people in early 20th century dress. Because of all of these indicators, I decided on this font 'Fogtwo no5'. I think it's pretty classic and definitely signifies a vintage period, but I also think that it isn't too predictable and 'broadway'. 
 

2. ' Space Cats'

This a pretty cute illustration of a cat, in space (two of my favourite things). I really like this idea, and I chose a font that wasn't too traditionally 'childrens' because I think this image could possibly have potential with an older market too. 'Another' is a typewriter font with a rounded, approachable feel. 

 
3. 'Morning Dawn'


This design is a nice, fresh graphic design that doesn't give away much. Because of the palette and because of the style, I would think that this book is aimed at women. I decided that it didn't look much like a romance novel, so I settled on a memoir-type idea, and used a handwritten font called 'Hickory Jack'.

 

4. 'Demon Flight'.


This book with a demon on the front first indicated to me that I needed to take a wander down the 'gothic' section of dafont.com. However, after saving a few very garish and obvious fonts to my desktop, I decided on 'Optimus Princeps'. It's not quite as restrictive, and I feel that the cover of the book is deliberately enigmatic enough to draw a wide range of reader, and it should be complimented by a font that respects that. 

 

5. 'The Greatest Feeling'

This cover deserved a typical retro font, because of the mid century fashion illustation on the cover. I really like the graphic colour scheme, and I think the font could be easily edged up by colouring it acid yellow and outlining it in black.


 

6. 'Dancing: An Illustrated History'


This was my least favourite of all of the covers because it doesn't really say much except 'dance'. The fonts related to dance that I could find were all quite comical, so I settled for an aptly titled, 'timeless' serif font. 

 
7. 'POP!'


I really like this cover. I originally thought that this would be a 60s-inspired art book about pop art, but on second thought, it would make a really interesting contemporary literary fiction cover. I settled with the font 'Nova' in the end, because I thought that it encompassed the best of both worlds. This cover was definitely the hardest to look for, because I couldn't really pin it down



Now I'm going to make a full front and back cover from one of the illustrations above, I'll probably upload a separate post going through that though - look out for that!


No comments:

Post a Comment