Thursday 14 April 2016

Picks of the Month: illustration and marketing design

Jim Kay

Jim Kay is a really interesting illustrator based in New York. He has come to (inter)national attention because of his recent work on the Harry Potter series. While I am not the biggest Harry Potter fanatic (which is sacrilege to say on this course- I do like still like Harry though) the dark illustrations really appealed to me.
 
The art style is actually very similar to my final project, which interested me from the beginning. I love the whispy use of pencil and the range of light and shade in the above drawing. He also works in mixed media, and has produced numerous 3D models for different exhibitions.
 
 
 
Jim details his design process on his website, and it's really very inspiring how he takes queues from all around him, in museums and on the streets. I am really excited for his collaboration with Harry Potter, and I think he could offer something great to the books, with a little extra magic.




Jonathan Barnbook

is quite different, and works with a range of companies to effectively re-brand and refresh. His website is particularly creative, and showcases the interesting use of composition and taste in his ever-changing style.

 
Jonathan has worked on Damien Hirst exhibitions, and more interestingly alongside the British Heart foundation. The style is very graphic and contemporary - which I very much like - and I appreciate the wide difference in colour, tone and graphics between all of the designs.
 
 
 
 
Jonathan has significant ties to publishing, and produced a coffee-table style art book tribute to David Bowie, after his death earlier this year. He has also worked with French company Fiell Publishing to create some colourful and psychedelic designs, below:
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment